Monday, April 1, 2013

Transmission Repair Tips from a Columbia SC Mechanic



Transmission repair – The phrase itself can induce stress and sometimes panic.  
Transmission repairs can be one of the most expensive repairs an auto owner encounters. Often the car or truck owner’s concern is that they will be presented with repairs to authorize that they do not understand or fear they may be overcharged due to their lack of knowledge on the subject.

We believe customers should be completely comfortable with every repair and have complete trust in our advice and our work. We want to take some of the mystery and concern out of transmission troubles by providing a fundamental look at your transmission.  With some basic information you can better understand what your mechanic is talking about and what your transmission repairs may involve.

Transmission problems can ground a car fast. They may involve the inability to drive in certain gears, or even any gear. Transmission problems that have not grounded you yet likely will soon. Transmission trouble never heals itself.  Many times the decline from the first signs of trouble to out of commission can occur rather quickly.

A transmission has many parts and components, much more than can be explained here. These are the basics you will need to help understand and be able to discuss your transmission problem with a mechanic.
Transmission fluid is critical to every transmission. This red fluid is the transmission’s life blood.  Transmission fluid leaks may occur in many locations and can potentially create bigger problems in the future. If your transmission is leaking, or there have been reddish fluid stains under the vehicle, you should seek a professional auto repair shop or certified mechanic to locate and correct the issue before you have a bigger, even costlier issue.

The transmission filter is also vital.  It must be clear of debris, allowing adequate flow of clean transmission fluid. A blocked filter can create multiple problems with your transmission’s operation.  Replacing a filter is much simpler than having to replace or even rebuild the transmission.  Diagnosing smaller problems early can save you from greater damage that will be sure to come.

The transmission gears are another very complex system. Main gears and planetary gears must all have full function to allow the transmission to function properly.  There are many aspects to properly functioning gears. They should be in good condition, without cracks, dings, or chips which may cause the gears to slip or not engage entirely.  This is when we usually find an auto grounded or unable to operate in one or more gears. Any problem found within the transmission system’s gears will require a professional.

The bell housing is yet another component of the transmission. The bell housing is located differently, depending on if you have a front-wheel or rear-wheel drive vehicle.  This metal cone shaped casing must be in good condition, allowing the mechanisms it protects to work correctly. The bell housing should be free of cracks, damage or other issues that may be detrimental to proper operation of the transmission or its components.

Transmission repairs and rebuilds are very costly but, once completed, should not have repeat trouble for many years.  Never leave your auto with anyone you do not have full confidence in.  Always check out the mechanic or shop you plan to use because transmission repairs require precision, special types of tools and a specialized knowledge and understanding.

14 comments:

  1. It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!

    Used engines

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good transmission repair shop can be found either online or through referrals. One needs to spend some time doing a background check and ensure that the automobile is put in safe hands. transmission repair

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how in the article it mentioned that repairing your transmission isn't cheap but once it is repaired you won't have troubles for many years. My husband thinks the transmission in our car will go out soon but now that I know after you repair it once it'll be a while until you have to repair it again, that brings comfort to me. http://www.brightonauto.com/Repairs__Service_and_Parts.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My car has been having a really hard time when it comes to it's transmission. I have really been thinking about taking it in, but I just don't have the time. I really was curious about how I could do small repairs on my own. I think that I will be able to a little bit of work thanks to you. http://www.satrans.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been teaching my daughter how to drive a stick. I decided to let her try it out on my car. She is finally good enough to go out on the road, but she destroyed my transmission. http://www.budgetautomotivetucson.com/services

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of things that go into fixing up a car. Working on cars is something that I have never been good at, but want to learn more about. This helped me understand more about my transmission and I hope that I can learn more.

    http://www.precisiondiffandgear.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information with us. I have been having a really hard time with the transmission in my 92 Acura Legend. Though I know what to do to to maintain that car, I still think that I might to take it to a shop. http://www.worldclasstransmissionservice.com/services

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to get a check up on my car because it is old and I was told my transmission is bad. I wasn't really sure what the transmission was and so I didn't understand what was causing. Now I know what it is and what is causing my transmission to go bad. Thanks for the help. http://www.protransmission1.procarcarezone.com/topshop/web/web_template/temp5/service.asp?id=151310

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all of the great advice. Over the past few weeks I've been having all kinds of issues with my transmission. For some reason when I get up to high speeds the entire car shakes while I try to shift gears. It's never done something like this before, so I'm honestly starting to get really worried. How much do you guys think this will cost me to fix?
    http://www.coronacarrepair.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for breaking down the different parts of a transmission. I never realized that filters were so important in the process. You hear a lot about fluids and gears, but the filter was news to me. This was a great article! http://www.precisionautomatictrans.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike, I agree that the fluid levels need to be carefully monitored. Transmission fluid leaks may occur in many locations and can potentially create bigger problems in the future. If you think your transmission is leaking, then definitely get a professional to take a look at it. http://www.tampatransautocare.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. What would be the most effective and yet affordable transmission repair for your vehicle? This is something that I am wanting to do this coming week mostly because my car is getting old. I bought my car about five years and it still runs good but now it's starting to get some trouble especially with the engine and transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate that you mentioned reddish fluid stains under your vehicle. My car left a reddish stain on my driveway last night, and I didn't realize it could be transmission fluid. After reading this, it sounds like I need to look into transmission repair services for my car.

    ReplyDelete